KANSAS OPERATION LIFESAVER BACKGROUND:
Operation Lifesaver (OL) is a nationwide, non-profit public safety education and outreach program designed to eliminate collisions, deaths and injuries at rail crossings and rights-of-way. As the third state to join OL, Kansas started an OL program in 1974.
The OL message is for everyone. Our programs help educate the public to the dangers of tracks and trains. Using trained volunteers, we educate groups from preschool to late adulthood in schools, businesses, safety meetings, and more.
Kansas Operation is a private, not-for-profit 501 (c) (3) public safety education organization. It relies on public, private, and corporate contributions for outreach support.
POSITION DESCRIPTION (includes but is not limited to):
The State Coordinator carries out the directives of the Board of Directors and manages the day-to-day activities of Kansas Operation Lifesaver, Inc. (KS OL). The State Coordinator, professionally referred to as the Executive Director (ExD), assists and works with Board of Directors in the broad goals of:
- Compliance with Operation Lifesaver, Inc. standards of participation
- Development and management of the annual budget
- Serve as the public face of Kansas Operation Lifesaver, including maintenance and development of Social Media presence
- Implementation and management of Authorized Volunteer training, activity and accurate data collection/analysis
- Coordinate, plan and attend quarterly KS OL Board of Directors and Committee Meetings.
- Attend one Operation Lifesaver, Inc. National State Coordinator Orientation training.
- Attend, at the KS OL BoD discretion, workshops, summits, transportation safety conferences, and symposiums; as authorized and approved.
- Attend KS OL Authorized Volunteer Coaching courses(s), and maintain active Volunteer base.
- Maintain and make available a resource library of videos and printed materials on highway-railway safety and trespass issues.
- Develop, submit, and manage the program's annual goals, action plan, and budget for review by the Board of Directors according the KS OL Bylaws.
- Manage the KS OL program in accordance with guidelines, operating principles, and policy guidance established by the national Operation Lifesaver organization.
- Maintain various spreadsheets, financial, presentation databases and other relevant electronic and paper documents critical to the success of KS OL.
- Develop, post on KS OL website, and distribute a quarterly newsletter.
- Act as spokesperson for KS OL. As such, serve on state and local safety committees and councils. Liaison with interested agencies including the media.
- Maintain the KS OL websites and social media presence to all pages current.
Skills and experience:
- Demonstrated experience in field related to public safety, business, charity organization, or other closely related field
- Demonstrated experience and proficiency in public speaking and face-to-face training
- Demonstrated proficiency with Microsoft Office applications, including Outlook, Excel, Power Point, and Word
- Demonstrated strength in written and oral communication
- Strong digital fluency, including knowledge of Internet security issues and a demonstrated ability to troubleshoot for self and others regarding computer applications; familiarity with website management
- Demonstrated ability to lead volunteers
- Willingness to recruit and train new volunteers; travel required
- Demonstrated responsibility in Social Media use
- Must be or willing to become an Operation Lifesaver Authorized Volunteer
- The position is currently home-based. Candidate may work from home office or from approved commercial office space. KS OL does not provide an office.
- Willingness to securely store and maintain KS OL supplies and property
- Willingness to travel (up to 25-50%)
- Willingness to work weekends and/or evenings
- Must be able to lift up to 50 pounds
- Must have reliable transportation and valid driver’s license
- Willing to submit to drug screen and background check
- Minimum associate’s degree in field related to public safety, administration of charity, marketing, or other closely related field; or, demonstrated equivalent in years of experience
- 5+ years in volunteer work
- Knowledge of railroad operations
- Knowledge of law enforcement and transportation safety issues
For more information on Kansas Operation Lifesaver, please go to:
If you are interested in applying for this position, please:
1) Research Operation Lifesaver at www.oli.org and Kansas Operation Lifesaver at www.ksoli.org, as well as:
Facebook: Kansas Operation Lifesaver
2) Contact or send resume to (please do not contact until you have completed item 1):
Julie La Combe